St. Peter Regional State Hospital –
This hospital is now known as St Peter Regional Treatment Center. It was previously the first psychiatric treatment facility of its kind in the state. It was originally built in 1866 in downtown St. Peter but has since been moved to the southern end of the city where it occupies 580 acres of wooded land. St. Peter is seventy miles south of the Twin Cities.
The "old Center" building is now a museum which is open to the public by appointment. Take a walk through the treatments of the mentally ill in the 1800’s while walking through the museum.. The museum includes artifacts, displays which use photo’s and settings of furniture depicting small vignettes of hospital life and routines of the turn of the century.