R.D. Hubbard House – Mankato, Minnesota
The "silk stocking district" of Mankato used to be lined with homes of the type of grandure of this house. The house remained in good condition since it was occupied by the Hubbard family for 67 years and then the Historical Society took possession of the house for their museum (which has since moved to the Newman Center). Approximately a quarter of those pieces of furniture and items of interest that were the Hubbards remain in the house. Other things to bring the house back to it’s 1905 grandure have been donated by patrons from the area.
Built in the French Second Empire style, the Hubbard House was constructed of brick and wood on a basement of cut stone. The main house is two and a half stories with a mansard roof of colored slate. The 1888 addition is one and a half stories. The carriage house, built in 1890, is a brick structure, two story. It once was located on the far side of Glenwood Creek, but was relocated in 1977 in the Palmer Centennial Garden area next to the Hubbard House.
The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location: 606 S. Broad Street, Mankato
Hours: May-September Saturday and Sunday 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Also, by appointment